My name is Caroline Cruaud and I am currently working as an associate professor in the Unit for Digitalisation and Education (eDU) of the University of South-Eastern Norway (USN).
I have a PhD from the Department of Education of the University of Oslo (Norway) on the topic of gamification of education entitled ‘The playful frame: design and use of a gamified application for foreign language learning’. In my PhD I developed a framework based on play theories and the concept of frame, to design and analyse play situations in a classroom context. I designed an app for French-as-a-foreign-language and investigated how it was used by Norwegian high school students and their teachers.
My main research focus is on playful learning and covers areas such as game-based learning, design-based research, and the process of designing tools for learning, especially within foreign language learning and teaching. But I am also interested in all sorts of innovative and alternative ways of learning and teaching: for example makerspaces or design thinking.
- Cruaud, C. (2022). Le jeu comme objet de recherche en didactique des langues et des cultures : une méthodologie orientée par la conception. In Silva, H. (Ed.), Regards sur le jeu en didactique des langues et des cultures. Peter Lang.
- Cruaud, C. (2018). Designing with Teachers: Contrasting Teachers’ Experiences of the Implementation of a Gamified Application for Foreign Language Learners. In Arnseth, Hanghøj, Henriksen, Misfeldt, Ramberg, & Selander (Eds.), Games and Education: Designs in and for Learning. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill | Sense. https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004388826_010
- Cruaud, C. (2018). The Playful Frame: Design and use of a gamified application for foreign language learning (Dissertation). University of Oslo, Oslo. https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/60251
- Cruaud, C. (2018). Learner Autonomy and Playful Learning: Students’ Experience of a Gamified Application for French as a Foreign Language. ALSIC, 21(1). https://doi.org/10.4000/alsic.3166
- Cruaud, C. (2016). The playful frame: gamification in a French-as-a-foreign-language class. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching. https://doi.org/10.1080/17501229.2016.1213268
- Cruaud, C., Lofthus, L. & Brazier, E. (2021). Student Engagement in Digital Escape Room for Learning. NERA2021. Odense.
- Cruaud, C. (2021). A Playful Approach to Foreign Language Learning and Teaching: Gamification in the French Classroom. Exploring Language Education (ELE). Oslo.
- Cruaud, C. & Hogstad, K. (2021). The Play of Play. Reframing ‘Play’ from a Semiotic Materialist Point of View. Game, play and technologies in language learning and language teaching. Mexico.
- Cruaud, C. (2019). Designing for playful learning: operationalising playfulness in the design of an app for foreign language learning. NERA2019. Uppsala.
- Cruaud, C. (2019). Playful learning: research and practice on bringing play in the classroom. ITS Volda. Volda.
- Cruaud, C. (2019) The Playful Frame – Gamification in the foreign language class. Game studies seminars. Skövde.